Summer is almost here, many families will be traveling. As a Service Dog, I travel every time my mom travels. When I am working I usually ride in the kangaroo style pouch. I really like my pouch and will often try to climb into it before mom puts me in it.
I have have ridden on many types of transportation.
- boat - parking ferry at Disney World's Magic Kingdom
- monorail - Epcot
I have ridden on or in several other things too:
- stroller - both human baby and dog ones
- kangaroo style pouch - Outward Hound - medium
- a carousel and a few other Theme park rides
- parking lot tram
- mobility scooter
- in a bag on a rolling walker
There are some things I haven't ridden, nor does Mom plan for me to ever ride them.
- horse, elephant, camel, or other animal
- Theme park rides that are not safe for me
by Snoozer - the Lookout
Mom always hooks my Ruffwear Webmaster harness to the seat belt. I ride in the front seat so I can reach Mom if I need to alert her. Our passenger airbag needs 70 pounds to activate it, and I am no where near that heavy. BOL!! I have a size medium seat because sometimes Baron rides with me and we both fit in it. Mom uses a coupler to hook both of our harnesses to the seat belt.
Pepper's travel tips:
- Buckle up! Loose pets can cause accidents or be injured.
- When we go on long trips, we usually stop every 2 or 3 hours for about a half hour to stretch our legs.
- When we go to different cities, I drink either bottled water or water that Mom brought from home. I do not drink the local water. Mom doesn't want to upset my digestive system with different water.
- Carry proof of vaccines, you never know when you will need to show it.
- If your dog has it's CGC, carry a copy of the certificate. Some (not all) parks and places require it.
- Pack extra poopy bags.
- pack enough food for the trip, plus a few days extra, just in case your plans change.
- Don't forget to pack your water and food bowls.
- Make sure you are wearing your collar with ID tags.
- Mom likes to pack pet/baby wipes, they come in handy for several things.
- Mom also likes to pack a small bottle of pet odor/stain remover cleaner, just in case I get sick. I usually don't, but you just can't always predict those things.
- I usually bring a spare leash - just in case. Mom's favorite leashes are hands-free, she is always scared she might drop the handle if her hands are full of bags.
- I like to bring one or two toys from home and a bully stick.
- In Winter, I pack a coat or sweater.
- I like to pack an emergency first aid kit and spare flea and heartworm treatments - just in case.
- Pack small scissors (when allowed) and a brush/comb if you have long fur.
- Bring a crate or carrier even if you don't think you need one, you never know. I always travel with my Sherpa duffle
- and of course I bring treats! - ALWAYS! BOL!!
This is not a product review post. We have purchased every item linked in this post. We just happen to really like and use these items almost every day, and certainly on every trip. Disney World is a place not an item, we went there on a trip a couple years ago. BOL!!
I hope I didn't forget to list any important travel tips. If you have any tips or experiences you'd like to share, please tell us about it!